Saturday 8 December 2012

Investing in Art ????

Art investment is similar to investing in anything else. You want to buy at a price lower than the price you sell it. For most people this isn't the primary reason for purchasing a nice piece of artwork, but if you ever change your opinion about that piece you bought, want something new, or simply need a couple extra bucks, selling your investment could be an alternative.

Art and collectibles trading is subject to the same market pressures as other mediums of investment, but there are some big differences. Subjective factors play a key role in the price. These factors includes condition, authenticity, the visual appeal of the work, and even the people who owned the painting prior to you.
But the best kind of investment is one you want to own. You will know more about it, enjoy having it, and are probably more likely to sell it for a higher price upon sale date.

Real life examples : Picasso's "Boy with a Pipe" sold in 1950 for $30,000 and again in 2004 for $104 million!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Chance upon your blog when I was looking for some info on art, nice blog.
    Anyway for me, after I bought my first painting, I just started buying more & more out of love rather than investment:)
    They are all not that expensive, & I do like to support local artists:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But dont you think the local works are relatively on the high side?

      Delete
    2. Hi Lynda I'm very glad you do that! WE should all support local artist if possible:)
      I do agree that some local art can be high, but if it's something you like & it's good, I don't see why not?

      Delete