Saturday 27 July 2013

Anna Berezovskaya

Anna Berezovskaya, is a Russian painter from a small town 60km north of Moscow called Jakhroma. Since 8 yrs ago, she's had been having sold-out shows. And she's now only 26! A painting costs between $30,000 and $150,000 - although eight years ago, it was just $500. A look at her paintings one would understand why.  The images of Berezovskaya's  paintings are beautiful with whimsical touches, very imaginative & often quite fun.


 Berezovskaya admits that : "I find a lot of contemporary art today rather ugly. A lot of it doesn't speak to me." I really like that honesty !!! I share the same views, & I'm sure many do as well.

She commented on major Russian artist Kazimir Malevich who originated the avant-garde Suprematist movement by painting a black square on white canvas in 1915,  "There was a purpose to his art back then because it changed the way people think about what a painting can do. But that kind of art doesn't appeal to me. I want to put emotions, colour and stories into my work. I want my works to be enjoyed."   And that she did, extremely well!

On her series, “Modern Romanticism said .”: It is the view of my own world. I created this fantasyland where all the people there are kings, princes, princesses and knights, and I kind of live in it. I believe deep down in their hearts, everybody wants to be a prince or princess. 

When I was little, my parents were always busy working so I was left home alone all the time. Being an imaginative kid I loved reading fairytales and then started creating my own. When I became a painter, those fantasies naturally reflected in my paintings.

Once they exhibited a painting of mine of a fat woman staring at a lot of delicious food locked in a cage. A woman came to me and told me she would buy that painting to hang on the wall of her daughter’s bedroom to urge her to go to diet! I had never thought my painting could serve such a practical purpose. Haha!."

When ask why does she  think people like her artwork so much?

AB: I guess they like the coloring and composition of my paintings because they look pleasant. Also, a lot of painters nowadays are very keen on making their artwork political. They paint to announce their ideologies. That’s good, but doesn’t work for me. I just love painting beautiful and peaceful scenes. And I think everybody likes pure beauty, serenity and happiness.  

I really like her, her inspiration & also that her paintings are beautiful & do not have “any political ideologies” ….lol…..

13 comments:

  1. I'm amused by your write up on Berezovskaya, did you go for her recent show in Spore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO, I really regretted not going- was busy at that time!

      Delete
  2. I feel art about anything political is totally over rated anyway- so people like her is being welcome by the masses! Her success speaks for itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like art that looks pleasing to the eye. Not some modern crap with tons of lines or 2 square boxes or circles & what nots....haha!

      Delete
    2. That brings to mind Jackson Pollock's work !

      Delete
    3. People are usually divided when it comes to Pollock’s abstract. Many thought he's just some con artist with zero talent, disguising paint drippings as art. And of course there are those that pay BIG money for these same art!

      Delete
    4. Is his "No.5, 1948," still the world's most expensive art?

      Delete
    5. I don't understand why would anyone pay over US$100 million for some really chaotic looking drippings/or art!

      Delete
    6. Claudette: The most expensive ever sold currently, is Paul Cezanne's "The Card Players".

      Kojack: I don't understand either, there must be something they know & we don't....lol... Or it's just a matter of pride & 'face' or both perhaps.

      Doris: Me too, to me art should be pleasing to the eye, especially if you intend to hang it in a place where you see it everyday. However there's always other reasons for acquiring art... so...

      Delete
  3. I think many of the super rich who buy paintings, buy them, because it's a symbol of their wealth & not because they really are in synch with the artist or the painting. Partially maybe they have nothing else to do with money--if you have billions of dollars, what can you buy that has any meaning? Plus Lots of snobbery associated with such purchases, making these rich millionaires, billionaires feel special, intellectual and of course the attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But how do you account for people buying these expensive artworks anonymously? They don't get attention that way right?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous to you & me perhaps , but within their own circle they know who bought what!
      For those who are really 'anonymous', hmmm..... a few 'interesting' reasons comes to mind....:)

      Delete
  4. My only criterion of buying art is whether I like it enough to want it in my home :)

    ReplyDelete